Is an Original Eames Chair Worth It?
There’s no substitute for the authentic Eames Chair. Produced by Herman Miller, it’s assembled by hand in Michigan, following the Eameses’ original design to a T. The original Eames Chair is perfectly pitched for ultimate comfort and offers superior lumbar support: The chair’s tilt takes the weight off your lower spine and distributes it properly to the back of the chair. While Eames Chair replicas may resemble the original in appearance, an “Eames style” lounge chair certainly won’t deliver the same feel and luxe comfort.
Eames Chair Features
Note that the Eames Lounge Chair does not recline; instead, it offers perfect pitch for a relaxed posture, featuring molded wood shells that cradle the body. It’s set on a versatile swivel base for ease of movement. The authentic Eames Lounge Chair from Herman Miller comes with an unmatched warranty.
How Do I Choose an Eames Lounge Chair?
1. Select a Size
The Eames Lounge Chair comes in standard and tall sizes. Since the chair was developed in 1956, the average height of people worldwide has increased approximately one inch. Thus, Herman Miller and the Eames Office, still run by the Eames family, developed the taller size.
2. Select a Shell Finish
Choose from seven wood veneer finishes, including:
- Ebony Ash
- White Ash
- Oiled Walnut
- Oiled Palisander
- White Oak
3. Select Your Upholstery
Choose from more than 60 shades of leather and fabric.
- All Grain Leather is soft yet durable and bears a small pebble-grain texture.
- MCL Leather offers a balance of softness, durability, and color-fastness; it will develop a rich patina over time and use.
- Prone Leather is minimally finished to highlight the natural beauty of the leather.
- 2100 Series Leather preserves the leather’s natural grain while offering consistent color.
- Stow Leather features a small, pebbled grain that is “tipped” – a process by which darker dyes are added to the surface to produce a rich depth of color.
- Checker offers a bold, graphic look, originally designed by Alexander Girard in 1965.
- Mohair Supreme is made of pure mohair and delivers a sumptuous, velvety texture.
- Flamiber is inviting yet durable, with a modestly textured surface that appeals to eye and hand.
Do Eames Lounge Chairs Hold Their Value?
Like all Eames furniture, the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman are expertly crafted, designed to last for decades. When properly maintained, the Eames Lounge Chair will hold its value for generations to come. From cleaning the cushions to periodically polishing the veneer shells, learn how to properly care for your Eames Lounge Chair with the Care and Maintenance Guide. Whether in your living room, office, or bedroom, the Eames Lounge Chair offers inimitable comfort with which no Eames chair replica can compete.
Make the Eames Lounge Chair Your Own